Job Search: The Only Thing You Need To Be Doing In 2018
Do you know what the single most important thing to do is when you’re looking for a job in 2018?
Get a referral into the employer. “I know of no other practice that will get you more success than that. “You have to work 14 times as hard to get a job without one.”
Here’s The Thing:
- If a company gets 100 responses to a job posting, 50% (or more) are generally not qualified.
- Of the remaining applicants, only two will likely be referred in
- Normally, an internal recruiter wants to present at least four or five suitable candidates to the hiring manager. As a result, qualified candidates with a referral get presented to hiring managers 100% of the time.
Or to put it more succinctly, 100% of qualified referrals are interviewed.
Boom! Spend your time getting referrals, not blindly applying.
Here are 3 Ways to Get Job Referrals
- As for the best way to get referrals into a company where you want to work. Search LinkedIn to find any contacts you have that either work currently, or in the past, at the company. Instead of asking, “Can you refer me for XYZ position?” ask, “Do you think I’d be a good fit for this position? If so, do you think you could refer me?”
- Work your INTERNAL network — these people you know personally.
- Work your EXTERNAL network — these people you know from professional associations, fraternal organizations, volunteer organizations and the like. Those people often have leadership positions within the companies that you may be targeting, so don't forget them.
FINALLY… ASK FOR IT! YOU HAVE NOT CAUSE YOU ASK NOT!
DOWNLOAD FREE DOCUMENT
Blueprint: Finding Employment Faster
The Perfect Resume Checklist
FOLLOW ME ON THE SOCIALS
Please hit the like button on this page! Pretty please? My blog and videos are ad-free ONLY because you share my work! That’s right – I self-fund this entire blog and all my content only because you share my work. So, thank you, and let’s keep this ad-free!
Complement this blog with these previous posts:
How To Answer The Salary Question
4 Steps To Setting And Obtaining Your Goals
WHAT I BELIEVE...
Subscribe Darnell on YouTube for tons of great career:
P.S. If you enjoyed this blog/video post feel free to share it!